Thursday, June 5, 2008

Forgiveness!


This is something I struggle with daily...

How do you decide who to forgive...There have been times when I have gotten into an argument that the next day or even that same day the person I argued with and myself have said our I'm sorry's and it was over, but there are just a handful of people that have either not accepted my apology or don't want to...

There are also those that I have argued with (which weren't my fault) and they won't even consider apologizing or trying to save our friendship...but they can rekindle a friendship that was once hurt in the past...now what is the difference I ask??

  • How do you choose who to forgive and who not to??
  • Why is one argument less important than the another and easier to forgive?
  • How can you justify accepting one and not another??
  • Is it just our nature to choose who is a better person over the worst?

I have been occasionally reading this book called God's Promises for You, by Max Lucado, and it has some great explanations of what we should do and how to do it!! The "notes" range from Love to Friendship to Sin...anything and everything I think we all struggle with on a daily basis.


I have been re-reading some old posts that I and others have posted in the past and I have come to realize that some great friends were lost over some childish and petty things...But I do forgive them for everything and I hope that they can see it in their heart to forgive me. I have made a pact to myself that I am changing my life and attitude...starting with making amends with everyone from my past and present. This doesn't mean I will have the courage call each and every person but I am sure that if you are reading this that you get my point and I hope you take it and run with it!


Here are two scriptures in this book about forgiveness and loyal friendship.


Friendships:
Be sure that no one pays back wrong for wrong
but always try to do what is
good for each other and for all people.
Eph. 5:15

Forgiveness:
Be kind and loving to each other
and forgive each other just as God
forgave you in Christ.
Eph. 4:32



8 comments:

The Perry Family said...

I'm all about forgiveness to a certain point, but I can never forget and that is my biggest downfall.

Jenny Sipes said...

Oh i agree 100%...it is ALWAYS hard to forget...I hear ya girl

Courtney said...

So glad to know that you have a blog too! I liked your post. I always feel like it is so much easier to forgive and take some time to think about why what happened happened. Most of the time I realize I played a big part in it too. It takes too much energy to be angry or harbor bad feelings. I would rather spend that energy towards something positive.
Again, so glad to hear from you and can't wait to keep up through the blogs!

Mom of these kids said...

I think I forgive pretty easily...well everyone but my family! I tend to avoid confrontation and drama though, and in turn, I think I end up not getting in many close relationships. I hope everything eventually works out for you.

RADstitches said...

Forgiveness to me is a huge thing.. To me this is something that you should be able to do fairly easily. We are NOT in high school. To me when you don't forgive you waste your thinking constantly thinking about what went on. Pray about it.. do what you need to do, and that is forgive them and move on.. I have my family to focus on and don't like to waste time with drama.

The Brown's said...

So I you got me to thinking and I did a post on it. Thanks for giving me something to ponder.:o)

karen said...

I clicked on Shelley's link for your blog. If we trust God to forgive US, then we should be encouraged that He will help us to truly forgive OTHERS. By reaching down into our heart and lifting up our burdens to Him, we can ask Him to heal our hearts and attitudes toward those that have hurt us. Our God is able!

karen said...

PS I'm reading Karen Kingsbury's "Rejoice" which is the 4th book in her "Redemption" Series. She just gave this verse that speaks to "forgiving": Colossians 3:12-14 Hope it's helpful to you and others.